Skip to main content
There is a temporary issue on this page. Please, try later. We apologise for this inconvenience.

Show filters

Hide filters


Home-based personal care workers





Home-based personal care workers provide routine personal care and assistance with activities of daily living to persons who are in need of such care due to effects of ageing, illness, injury, or other physical or mental conditions, in private homes and other independent residential settings.
Tasks include -
(a) assisting clients with personal and therapeutic care needs such as personal hygiene, feeding, dressing, physical mobility and exercise, communication, taking oral medications and changing dressings, usually according to care plans established by a health professional;
(b) maintaining records of client care, changes in condition and responses to care and treatment, and reporting concerns or providing referrals to a health or social services professional;
(c) positioning and lifting clients with physical mobility challenges, and helping transport them in wheelchairs and motor vehicles;
(d) providing clients and families with emotional support, information and advice on topics such as nutrition, hygiene, exercise, caring for infants or adapting to disability or illness;
(e) maintaining clients’ environmental hygiene standards, such as changing bed linen, washing clothes and dishes, and cleaning living quarters;
(f) providing psychological support to clients such as through conversation or reading aloud;
(g) planning, purchasing, preparing or serving meals to meet nutritional requirements and prescribed diets;
(h) providing support to parents and care for newborns during the postpartum period;
(i) scheduling and accompanying clients for appointments with medical doctors and other health professionals, or performing other errands.
Examples of the occupations classified here:
- Home birth assistant
- Home care aide
- Nursing aide (home)
- Personal care provider
Some related occupations classified elsewhere:
- Nurse (professional) - 2221
- Social worker (professional) - 2635
- Nurse (associate professional) - 3221
- Social worker (associate professional) - 3412
- Nursing aide (clinic or hospital) - 5321
Workers who provide personal care to residents of medical and health care facilities that have permanent medical or nursing supervision (such as in hospitals and nursing care homes), and therefore work under the direct supervision of health professionals or associate professionals, are classified in Unit Group 5321: Health Care Assistants. Workers who provide personal care in independent residential settings (including retirement communities with minimal or no on-site medical or nursing supervision) are classified in Unit Group 5322: Home-based Personal Care Workers. Home birth assistants, who provide emotional support and general care and advice to women and families during pregnancy and labour, but not delivery care to reduce health risks, are included here. Care workers who provide care and supervision for children in residential homes and care centres are classified in Unit Group 5311: Child Care Workers.

Narrower occupations

Coincheap URI